Monday, February 18, 2008

This Is It….

This is it, I’m moving to the campo. The time has come to be bold, to dive in, to go for it and see what I got. No more fancy dinner parties, no more hot water shower, no more easy Internet access, no more easy to understand Spanish, no more distractions in the sufficiently metropolitan capital city.

If I’m ever going to get any work done its gotta be now. Will I be tired of limited water access after two days? Yep. Am I scared my “informants” won’t trust me or talk to me? Yep. Am I predicting I’ll have a bacterial stomach infection thing, after one week? Yep. Am I afraid it’ll take weeks to get any information out of the mayor’s office in the small town? Yep. Will I be forced to eat and drink strange things, go to the neighboring town for a shower or internet or cell phone service or something even remotely resembling a meal to eat? Absolutely. Am I dreading that eventhough I’ve packed all my books on local development, my methodology, and the scientific history of Lake Poopo, that I won’t actually read them, just as I haven’t actually gotten around to reading them in La Paz? Yep, totally afraid of that. Am I a little nervous to travel by myself without my anthropology friends or my NGO partners? Eh...not really.

But I need your prayers and well wishes. And if you need to find me, ask for the Huari Brewery, I’ll be renting a room someplace near there, and if you still cant find me, just sit in the plaza, I’ll walk by eventually…it’s a very tiny pueblo.

Huari or Bust!!

2 comments:

John said...

Good Luck Jess. As much as we we will miss your posts for a while, we are all pulling for you. Be well and I hope your work in the campo exceeds your dreams and expectations.

Caroline Armijo said...

Good luck! I miss you and look forward to hearing more stories from you.